Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Evaluations

Being in my second consecutive year of teaching I am up for my permanent contract at the end of the year.  This is it...  Either I get permanent next year or they kick me out on my keester and I am forced to either search in a different division or choose to sub.  Now I say "my second consecutive year" but really this is my fifth year teaching.  I've somehow managed to be swindled out of this permanent contract thing before and so now I am finally up for it this year.

Now my principal needs to write up an evaluation for me this year and this will be used to recommend that I be hired as a permanent teacher in the division.  So in order to do this my principal must of course come in and observe me teaching.  No pressure or anything...

So my principal emails me on Friday and asks to come in to watch 3 lessons the following week.  I need to send him my lesson plans by the end of the weekend and tell him which periods will work.  Needless to say I was a little stressed that weekend.  I must say I don't typically write out oober-detailed lesson plans anymore and I wanted them to be perfect.  But I managed to do it.  I was super pumped about the three lessons I came up with and sent them off on Sunday afternoon.  Well that week I ended up getting him to come in for 2 lessons.  The third lesson needed to be moved a couple times because of extra music practices for the spring musical, a trip to Wheelies I didn't find out about until that Monday and some meetings my principal needed to attend.  So my third lesson was postponed until this week.  My principal came in this afternoon and observed me in action for the final time.  

And the results...

Well all three lesson plans went well.  I did a math lesson on ratios to start, a social studies lesson on the Great Depression and then ended with an art lesson that tied in to fractions, percents and ratios as well.  My students were really good for the most part (today was the only time they were a little unfocused but I managed to rein them in quite easily).  My principal seemed to love the lessons I did and was super impressed by my class.  He will be writing a very positive evaluation I'm sure.

Afterwards we had a talk about my chances for getting a job at that school for next year.  I learned nothing new really but it was good to hear him tell me that if he has his way he wants me back there next year.  Now the problem is all those permanent teachers requesting transfers, coming back from medical leaves or needing a new spot for one reason or another.  My position is up for the taking by any of these teachers and there is nothing my principal can do about it.  If a teacher is requesting a grade 6 position they will say, "Oh ya there is one over at that school that is open.  Enjoy!" and I'm out of luck.

Now it's simply a waiting game.  I must wait until the meetings take place in May and then I can find out if I can stick around for another year at my school and get that illusive permanent contract or hope another school picks me up and I can get that permanent contract that way.  I would love to stay at the school I am at but if I can get permanent I won't be crying if I have to move yet again.

Well wish me luck in the month ahead and hopefully I have some good news to share at the end of it!

Right now just letting out a huge sigh of relief that my observations are done and that they went well.  The rest is up to fate.

2 comments:

  1. Krista told me you were posting again! Congrats on the great reviews... I hope you get that permanent position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evaluations are never really "fun". But great job...sounds like you pulled some awesome lessons together that went over really well. You are an all star teacher. And the permanent contract is yours!!!! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete